Career as a Librarian : Job Opportunities & Profile of Librarians
You are bound
to have come across librarians during your school and college days.
Librarians refer to those trained library workers who take on the
task of organising library material and making it easily accessible
to those who need it. Though an offbeat and uncommon career choice,
trained Librarians can find employment with elementary & senior
level Schools, Government & Private Colleges, Universities as
well as public libraries in different localities.
Over the years, the
work of a librarian has become more technology-based and less paper-dependent.
From maintaining records and stock of books to locating them when
required, librarians are making use of the latest technology in
all their every day tasks. Though the scope of work may vary depending
on how large the library is, here are some of the main duties
of a Librarian -
Job : Profile & Role
- Depending on the age group
of readers the library caters to, the librarian must order
and maintain the stock of books which are required by the
readers from time to time.
- Guide the library members
so that they can make the best possible use of the library
and the resources it offers (books, magazines, publications,
periodicals, dvd's etc).
- Regularly update and maintain
databases of library resources.
- Train other members of the
- Educate students and library
users about the rules and regulations to be followed as
well as how to find books of their choice both manually
as well as by using the computer catalogs.
- Maintain order and silence
in the library.
- Make sure that all the books
are kept back in their proper place on shelves.
- Keep a track of all the magazines,
books and other resources in the library.
& Skills that come in handy for Librarians
- Good communication skills
& an interest in guiding people.
- Strong working knowledge of
- Ability to pick up and learn
new technology quickly.
- A passion for organising and
finding information as well as maintaining resources.
- Love for books.
- Skills in multi-tasking.
- Ability to work efficiently
in stressful situations.
- Strong leadership qualities
and the ability to work well in a team.
- Create excitement and interest
in readers and library users to explore the world of books.
Opportunities : Training to be a Librarian
- In order to become a professional librarian, you must
gain the right training. This includes getting a degree
in Library Sciences - graduate, masters degree.
- Employment as a Librarian can be found with public libraries,
corporate libraries, academic libraries - University libraries,
College and School libraries.
Are you an
Institute Offering Training in Library Sciences?
List Your Institute