The Pleasures of Swimming
& Importance of Maintaining Pool Hygiene
Swimming is one of
the most enjoyable and invigorating outdoor water sports that people
of all age groups can indulge in. Whether you are looking for a
refreshing break from the summer heat or longing for a recreational
activity that the entire family can enjoy together, swimming is
definitely one of the best options there is.
Is Fun Taking a dip in the
pool on a hot summer day or gliding through its fresh blue waters
can be a fun way to relax, unwind and rejuvenate your tired body
and stressed mind. This is probably the reason why pool parties
are so popular with today’s generation who are living a highly demanding
and hectic life.
Swimming Is Healthy All
of us know the importance of staying fit and swimming is just as
good a form of exercise as walking, jogging or cycling. Besides
weight reduction, swimming benefits a person’s cardiovascular system,
improves muscle strength, flexibility and posture as well as helps
in toning all parts of the body. Swimming provides a sense of freedom
and removes lethargy from both the body as well as the mind.
Swimming Is Good For Kids
If you have children, you must consider enrolling them to
a Club or Activity Centre where they can take up swimming
classes on weekends, during holidays or whenever possible.
Not only is swimming a highly valuable skill to have in terms
of personal safety, it also plays an important role in conditioning
a child’s body from an early age and making them confident
Don’t Forget Pool Hygiene Just
as the health benefits of swimming can not be underestimated,
the dangers of not maintaining personal and pool hygiene can
also not be ignored.
of whether you swim in your own personal pool at home or a
public swimming pool at the Club etc, you should never undermine
the importance of pool hygiene and personal cleanliness before,
during and after entering a pool. This is because a swimming
pool that is not kept in good sanitary conditions can actually
become a home for diseases rather than a recreational heaven.
In the absence of
proper pool hygiene and cleanliness regime followed by those using
the swimming pool, several diseases and health conditions can be
passed on from one pool user to the other. These include nose and
throat infection, cold and cough, conjunctivitis, respiratory problems,
skin infection as well as gastro intestinal infection, among others.
Hence, to avoid the spread of these, make sure to pay attention
to your own personal hygiene as well as the hygiene of the pool
you intend swimming in.
Hygiene & Healthy Swimming Tips
• Take a cleansing shower before entering the pool and don’t
forget the foot bath.
• Wash your hands thoroughly, especially after using the toilet.
• Always wear a clean swimming suit and wash it after every
• Do not enter the pool if you are suffering from allergies
or other illnesses such as diarrhea, eye or skin infection as
they may spread to others as well.
• Do not wear contact
lenses while swimming as both your eyes and your lenses can get
• At all times, avoid swallowing or getting pool water in your mouth.
• Tie up your hair and wear a cap before getting into the pool.
• Avoid putting any kind of lotion. If you have, make sure to wash
it off during the shower.
• Always use clean washed towels and wash them well after every
Swimming Do’s & Don’ts for Children
• Make sure that your kids are trained by a professional before
allowing them to swim.
• Never leave young children unattended anywhere near a swimming
• Take your children on regular bathroom breaks.
• Train them to maintain personal cleanliness and hygiene.
• If your child is suffering from any illness, do not allow them
to swim or enter the pool.
Pool - Cleaning & Maintenance
Devote the necessary time and attention in maintaining proper sanitary
conditions in your home swimming pool if you want to have a healthy
and happy swimming experience. Those of you who use a public pool
must see to it that the management and staff take care of swimming
pool hygiene at all times.
Chlorine disinfectants are added to the pool water in order to kill
germs that infect the water and cause illnesses to the swimmers.
Those maintaining the swimming pool must educate themselves with
regards to the right quantity of chlorine that should be added and
at what intervals of time.
In the event that
you suffer from skin or eye irritation from being in the pool, inform
the authorities about it and get the water checked to make sure
that it is clean the next time.
• The pool should be disinfected regularly to keep bacteria and
micro organisms at bay.
• The filtration and water circulation of the pool must be attended
• In order to reduce the chances of infection, the pool and deck
area, the showers, changing rooms, handrails, etc – everything must
be kept clean and disinfected regularly.
• Proper procedures must be followed to empty the pool from time
to time in order to scrub the floors etc.
• Those cleaning the swimming pool should also maintain personal
• A quality skimmer must be used to pull out leaves, insects and
other articles that may fall into the water.
• A good quality plastic pool cover may be used to cover the pool
to prevent it from getting dirty especially if the pool will not
be used for sometime.
• Food items and drinks should be avoided near the pool.
If you haven’t already, now is the time to make swimming a part
of your regular exercise routine. Begin your day feeling relaxed
and rejuvenated with a few laps or end the day with a relaxing night
dip to let go of all the tensions of a long and tiring day – the
choice is yours! Become a responsible swimmer and enjoy the benefits
Akanksha is a freelance
content writer and enjoys penning down her thoughts on various topics.
Get in touch with her at firstname.lastname@example.org
The opinions expressed in this article are that of the writer.
www.contentwriter.in is not responsible for the independent
views of the writer.